Planning Appeals

We can help overcome your refusal by drafting a Planning Appeal

Planning Advice

We can advise whether a potential development scheme is feasible

Planning Applications

We can prepare and submit a professional planning application which will give you a high chance of success

Architectural Drawings


We create stylish and comfortable interior design. Any project of studio is made individually

Heritage & Conservation


Building Regulations

We create stylish and comfortable interior design. Any project of studio is made individually

Transport Assessments

We create stylish and comfortable interior design. Any project of studio is made individually

3D Visualisations

We create stylish and comfortable interior design. Any project of studio is made individually

Our proven and effective 3 part process

These are the 3 steps we employ to get your planning application approved.

Collect Information / Research

We work with you closely to get the necessary information. We investigate local site constraints, relevant planning policies and local planning precedents.

Prepare Architectural Drawings

We visit the site and produce existing and proposed architectural drawings of the property according to client specification and council policies.

Submit Planning Permission Application

We prepare the planning documents and ensure the drawings comply with all planning considerations and then submit the application.

See similar projects we have worked on...

See our FAQs

Selection of our most common queries.

Do I need Planning Permission?

Most developments will require the consent of the local council. You will either need Planning Permission or a certificate of lawfulness.

Some examples where planning permission is required:

  • Most new building developments
  • Additions or extensions to a flat or maisonette (including those converted from houses). (But you do not need planning permission to carry out internal alterations or work which does not affect the external appearance of the building.)
  • Dividing part of your house for use as a separate home (for example, a self-contained flat or bed-sit) or use a caravan in your garden as a home for someone else. (But you do not need planning permission to let one or two of your rooms to lodgers.)
  • Dividing off part of your home for business or commercial use (for example, a workshop) or you want to build a parking place for a commercial vehicle at your home.
  • Building something which goes against the terms of the original planning permission for your house - for example, your house may have been built with a restriction to stop people putting up fences in front gardens because it is on an "open plan" estate. Your council has a record of all planning permissions in its area.
  • Any work that might obstruct the view of road users.
  • Any work that would involve a new or wider access to a trunk or classified road.

Planning permission is not generally required, for changes to the interior of buildings, or for small alterations to the outside e.g.  the installation of telephone connections and alarm boxes. Exceptions may include buildings in a conservation area, a listed building or a building of heritage significance/importance.

Osborne Planning are here to help you with your development. We can clarify any doubts that you may have, establish the status of a building use or of a site use, and conduct a full feasibility study to establish the likelihood for a proposed development to be granted planning permission.

Factors affecting planning permission

There are several factors - dependent a lot on your local authority plan, which will affect whether or not you need to apply for planning permission. Some of these considerations include:

  • Your neighbours
  • Design
  • Covenants
  • Listed buildings
  • Conservation areas
  • Trees and hedgerows
  • Nature and wildlife
  • Building regulations
  • Rights of way
  • Adverts and signs
  • Ancient monuments
  • Environmental health
  • Licensed sites
  • Roads and highways

Osborne Planning will be able to advise you whether you need planning, and if so, offer to help produce a convincing and professional application for submission to the local council. Assuming that planning permission is not required, Osborne Planning will produce all the architectural drawings, existing and proposed to acquire a certificate of lawfulness from the local council so that building works can commence.

Is it possible to know if planning permission will be granted before a planning application is submitted?

Unfortunately it is not possible to predict an outcome of a planning application, but a professional planner can advise on the risks and opportunities, to increase your chances of success and understanding of the available development scenarios. This is where Osborne Planning come into the picture. Osborne Planning will not take on any project that has little or no chance of success, unless it is put in writing to the applicant/client, and the client wishes to proceed regardless.

There is no honest planning professional who can guarantee a successful outcome. Every planning officer in the planning department has his/her understanding of the planning regulations, policies and guidelines, and will interpret these differently than their colleagues. This fact is not always consistent with the way planning consultants work, and it is sometimes difficult to predict the outcome of an application.

The local council is aware of these issues, and has introduced a new facility for communication, which enables developers and members of the public to seek planning advice from the local planning department. It is usually free of charge for minor applications, such as extensions. Larger developments, such as change of usages, and conversions are subject to a fee. This consultation is called “Pre Application Advice” meeting.  Osborne Planning's consultants have much experience dealing directly with the local council, liaising on planning issues, and negotiating financial agreements and contributions on behalf of our clients. There are occasions that we will find necessary to consult with the local council directly, and we will advise our client to attend a pre application advice meeting to establish the best route to pursue, and/ or the most likely proposal with the highest chance of success.

There is however a challenge - If you pay the council for a Pre Application Advice service, any advice that they offer you is not legally binding, and they do not need to consider this while assessing the application. Therefore you may be told that if you do something specific you will have a better chance to get planning permission, and eventually they will ignore their initial advice and refuse the application. It is frustrating and unfair, but this is the nature of the planning system in the UK.

Osborne Planning have much experience dealing with different types of applications, and depending on the nature of each project, would conduct a feasibility study or site appraisal to establish the pros and cons of each development. The result of this study would clarify the chances an application would have to be granted planning consent. The study would usually include an appraisal of the relevant planning policies, constraints, history and other material considerations. This is an alternative to the council's service, and is much quicker and transparent.

What types of extensions or conversions can I get planning for?

There are many types of extensions and conversions. 4D Planning consultants will offer you a free phone consultation or visit your house/building and advise you what the best extension type or conversion is suitable for you, and that will benefit you and your family the most within budget.

The most typical extensions in London are:

  1. Single storey extension at the rear of the property
  2. Single storey extension at the side of the property
  3. Loft conversion with dormer roof extension
  4. Hip to gable roof extenion
  5. Basement Extension
  6. Garage conversion

The most typical conversions in London are:

  1. Conversion of a house into flats
  2. Conversion of a house into HMOs / bedsits (house of multiple occupation)
  3. Conversion of offices into flats
  4. Changes of Use (A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, B2, B4, B8, C3, C4, C1, C2, D1, D2, Sui Generis)
  5. Garage Conversion to habitable room or self contained unit

What is Permitted Development?

Permitted Development entitles you to make different types of minor changes to your house (loft conversion, side extension, rear extension and a garage conversion) without the need to apply for planning permission. These rights were introduced by the government in the 1995 Town and Country Planning Act (General Permitted Development) Order 1995, but several amendments have been introduced and implemented over the years.

Permitted development rights usually apply to houses only, and do not include flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Houses in conservation areas and listed buildings are also not included.

Permitted Development Rights withdrawn

You should also note that the local planning authority may have removed some of your permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 direction. This will mean that you have to submit a planning application for work which normally does not need one. Article 4 directions are made when the character of an area of acknowledged importance would be threatened. They are most common in conservation areas. You will probably know if your property is affected by such a direction, but you can check with the local planning authority if you are not sure.

Lawful Development

Osborne Planning are able to advise you whether your proposed extension falls under Permitted Development and is "lawful" or whether you will need to apply for planning permission. If you are entitled to build under Permitted Development, then you will need to prepare an application to the local council for a “Certificate of Lawfulness” or a Certificate of Lawful Use. You will need a full set of scaled architectural drawings showing the existing property and the proposed layouts and changes to the property.  Osborne Planning's consultants will prepare all the documentation and architectural drawings, all to scale, to meet all the requirements of the local Council.

If you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a 'Lawful Development Certificate' (LDC). For example if works were carried out to the property without planning permission, and you are thinking of selling your house in the future, it is best to obtain the LDC to ensure that the sale of the house runs smoothly and that the building works will not complicate the purchase/sale of the house. It is not compulsory to have an LDC but there are times when it is necessary to confirm that the use, operation or activity is considered "lawful" for planning control purposes. This also provides peace of mind to the property owner.

The Council charge £103 for a lawful development application for residential extensions and £462 for Change of Use applications and for creation of flats or an HMO. 

A property might be in breach of planning but would be exempt from enforcement action if there is "Established Use". This would usually be the case if a property was extended without the benefit of planning permission or if the property was converted into separate units or any other type of development without prior approval from the Council. In this case, the applicant may apply for a Lawful Development Certificate from the Council on the basis that there is 4 years of evidence for residential extensions and conversions to flats, or 10 years for commercial and other uses.