Frequently asked questions

Please contact us directly if you have any questions or you want to arrange a consultation with us.

Most developments will require the consent of the local council. You will either need Planning Permission or a certificate of lawfulness. For further information click here:
Unfortunately it is not. There is no professional who can guarantee planning permission for your development, but Osborne Planning can offer you a feasibility study which will help you understand what the risks are and the relevant constraints to consider. We can also advise you on design and alternative development ideas. We can also help you with your own Pre Application Advice enquiries with the council by attending the meeting and preparing the relevant information. If you would like our assistance, email us some photos of the property, and of course the site address, and we will do the rest:
Permitted Development entitles you to make different types of minor changes to your house (loft conversion, side extension, rear extension and a garage conversion) without the need to apply for planning permission. For further information and to find out if you are entitled to Permitted Development, click here:
Building Regulations promote high standards for construction and energy efficiency of buildings. It considers all types of people, including those with disabilities by requiring easy access in and around buildings. Building regulations are divided into 14 categories (parts), and are updated on a regular basis. These categories are: A - Structural safety, B - Fire Safety, C - Resistance to contaminants and moisture, D - Toxic Substances, E - Resistance to sound, F - Ventilation, G - Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency, H - Drainage and waste disposal, J - Heat producing appliances, K - Protection from falling, L - Conservation of fuel and power, M - Access to and use of buildings, N - Glazing safety, P - Electrical safety Building Regulations are only required post planning, once planning permission is granted, or if the planning department confirm that planning permission if not required. For further information click here:
The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'. For a list of the different use classes and a summary of the permitted changes, click here:
A Retrospective Planning Application is required for all developments which are in the process of being built, or are already built, and have not been granted planning permission. This application once planning permission is granted will legalise and regularise the development. Until planning permission is granted, the council can issue an enforcement notice to return the development into its former existence. This can be a costly and long experience, and it is strongly recommended that a home owner or developer apply for planning permission before carrying out building works. In the event that planning permission was not applied for, Osborne Planning are able to prepare a Retrospective Planning Application on your behalf, and help you get the required planning permission. For further info, click here:
The price of each application depends a lot on the application type, and the type of development. The usual charge is £172 for a regular residential planning application, £385 for a Change of Use, £385 per new dwelling, £86 for Lawful Development Applications and £110 for Advertisement Consent applications. Some applications will cost £195 and it will depend on the proposal.
There are 10 different types of planning permission applications: 1) Outline Application; 2) Approval of Reserved Matters; 3) Full Application; 4) Approval of Details; 5) Listed Building Consent; 6) Conservation Area Consent; 7) Advertisement Consent; 8) Certificate of Lawful Use or Development; 9) Minor Material Amendment; 10) Works to Trees   
Local authorities have the power (under Section 69 of the Planning [Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas] Act 1990) to designate as conservation areas, any area of special architectural or historic interest. This means the planning authority has extra powers to control works and demolition of buildings to protect or improve the character or appearance of the area.   
A 'listed building' is a building, object or structure that has been judged to be of national importance in terms of architectural or historic interest and included on a special register, called the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Compiled by the Department for Culture, Media and Sports (DCMS), under the provisions of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, the list includes a wide variety of structures, from castles and cathedrals to milestones and village pumps.   
In built up urban areas around London, plot sizes may be fairly small, so extending the house could seriously eat into the available garden space. The planners will therefore want be satisfied that your plans provide sufficient remaining amenity space; otherwise the project may be construed as ‘overdevelopment’. If this looks like it could be a problem, providing evidence of similar precedent in the local area, developments that have previously been approved (within 4 years) should help your case. Get in touch to discuss this with us:
If the planners consider that your design could seriously compromise your neighbours’ privacy, it may well be sent back to the drawing board. It is for this reason that balconies, roof gardens, upstairs conservatories and side facing windows are often resisted. The trouble in London is, for most urban and suburban houses it can be difficult to come up with a design where the windows don’t in some way overlook a neighbour’s house or garden. One solution is to design the extension with fashionably low roof slopes so that the upstairs bedrooms are in affect ‘loft rooms’ with skylight windows that gaze harmlessly out into space. Another option is to use obscured glazing for bathrooms. It is still important to allow sunlight in while at the same time preventing the occupants from easily seeing out. If you would like to discuss your potential development with us, please get in touch for a no commitment consultation:   mailto:
Conversion of houses to flats There are a number of considerations that the Planning department will make before granting permission for the conversion of a property into smaller flats, including impacts on neighbours, and the overall affect this might have on an area over time. Planning is concerned with ensuring that our towns and rural areas are designed in a functional way, and conversions of housing to flats can risk: • too many Houses of Multiple Occupation in one area, and reduce the number of family houses • adding pressure to local infrastructure (cumulatively, where lots of houses are converted into flats in one area) These and other considerations are used to judge if an application will get planning permission or not. The decision will depend on the specific circumstances and planning history of an area, and as such it is difficult to provide general advice. If you would like to assess the feasibility of converting your house or property into two or more residential units (flats) please get in touch so we can assist you: or call: 0203 1500 183.

Osborne Planning Permission Consultants,

We offer the following services:

  • Architectural Planning Drawings
  • Architectural Plans
  • Architectural Drawings
  • Access to Chartered Architect and Chartered Town Planning services
  • Planning Appeals
  • Permitted Development Applications (Lawful Certificate)
  • Planning Permission Applications for House Extensions & Loft Conversions
  • Retrospective Planning Applications
  • Planning Permission Applications for Change of Use Class
  • Planning for Commercial Properties
  • Planning Permission Applications for Converting a House to Flats
  • House in Multiple Occupation Applications
  • Planning Permission Applications for New Build Developments
  • Planning for Childrens Day Nurseries
  • Planning for Pubs & Restaurants
  • Planning for Motor Trade & Car Washes
  • Planning for Takeaways
  • Listed Building Consent Applications
  • Conservation Area Applications
  • Hotel Conversions to HMO, Prior Approval Applications and many more.

We cover all of the London Borough Councils including:

Barking & Dagenham, Barnet, Bexley, Brent, Bromley, Camden, City of Westminster, Croydon, Ealing, Enfield, Greenwich, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Kingston upon Thames, Lambeth, Lewisham, Merton, Newham, Redbridge, Richmond upon Thames, Southwark, Sutton, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, and Wandsworth.

Get in touch today for a free consultation on the phone and a free quote for our services.

Call: 0203 1500 183

You may also try emailing:

Visit us:

Osborne Planning Frequently Asked Questions, FAQs, Planning, Consultants, Experts, advice, Chartered Town Planning Consultants, Planning Permission Applications, Architecture Drawings, Architects, Architectural Drawings, Architectural Services.       


Please complete all mandatory fields(*). We will reply to all enquiries ASAP.